Skip to main content

The Cracked Chimes






















The Cracked Chimes is my first actual solo release; I've mainly released pieces in collaboration with other people, mainly with Tom DePlonty and Charles Baker. These works represent the various directions I've been playing around with lately, including a darker ambient style and techno (of all things).

A few words about each piece:

1) Fluctuations. A "techno" piece, which swirls around a central idea, and never settles down, even for a second.
2) Caldera. This was a slow, imagined walk along the side of an inactive volcano to the summit, ending with looking down into the caldera.
3) Ivory. A small pun, because the sounds are piano samples. This is also a canon, with an underlying drone.
4) Bounce. Not the best title, I guess, but the sounds reminded me of sounds bouncing around the room.
5) Distant Forest. All the sounds are recordings of forest animals and birds, but amplified in various ways to create an eerie, not-quite-real forest.
6) Slowly through the World. a slow ambient work, presenting our lives as we move through the world.
7) The Cracked Chimes. The sounds are based on chimes and bells which are all manipulated.
8) The Good Soul. A constant percussive pattern with floating chords above, and below the sound of thunder and rain. Clichee, maybe, but it works.
9) Suspended Tempo. All the sounds enter at their own tempi, hence the title.
10) Momento. More filtered Bells, with a percussive undertone. I was thinking more of Momento Mori here,  as it was the idea of somebody considering the long string of life.
11) Fissure. A techno work, actually composed in collaboration with Tom DePlonty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wish everybody would learn to sing

Singing in a choir is a great enjoyment; it allows a person not only to use his or her voice, it also gives people a chance to hear and perform excellent music. Music is an important part of life and human culture, and so should be encouraged. Choirs offer people the chance to participate in culture. Too often culture is set aside, especially in this day and age, where we equate money with society. The first thing that pops into one's mind is "I wonder how much it costs?" Culture is a thing that not only has a financial value, it also has a cultural value; that's why a car is just a car, but music is more. Also, it allows for the voice of the local musicians and composers to be heard. For example, a church choir director needs to actively search out the music written by composers living in the area. Although performing music by great composers is perfectly fine, the contemporary voices from the area should also be heard. At least this is what I believe; it

More about choirs

Expanding on the topic of choirs within a community; Performing music by the composers (amateur or professional) is very important. Not enough choirs do this; they are too busy performing works by Bach or Herbert or Eric Whitacre. Choirs used to perform this service; Bach, for example, was hired to write music for his choir every Sunday and for festivals. I'm sure that they also performed other composers (I guess I could look that up and find out). Today, of course, we are able to get music from anywhere in the world; this leads to lots and lots of music to choose from. I also have nothing against this. It is fun to perform a wide variety of styles, as well as singing pieces that are on my favourite's list. This does not excuse the fact, though, that choirs almost totally ignore the composers living in the area where the coir resides; I have seen many concerts where I live, and it is rare to hear music by local composers. If they do sing one, it is by a famous composers, an

Bound music so far.

As I have mentioned before, I am busily having my acoustic music bound in black hardcover volumes. This entails a lot of Finale work on my part because it needs to have a good layout, along with page numbers, titles, descriptions, instrumentation, and so on. In the photo, you can see the black books there on the left. That's how many I have so far.  1. Missa Sine Nomine. SATB, string quartet, organ, handbells. 2. Missa Sine Nomine . variations. I re-wrote several parts of the mass for other ensembles. 3. Missa Sine Nomine in English. 4. Music for Advent . SATB and instruments. I have pieces for first, send and fourth Advent Sundays. 5. Aviary Corridor . Soprano and small ensemble. Poem by Charles Alexander. This was performed in Seattle. 6. Fibonacci Poems . Tenor and piano. Poems by Coli Bell. I love these short poems which are snippets from life. 7. Music for Orchestra . Not a large volume! I actually have written a few pieces, however. 8. Music for Clarinet