Singing in a choir is a great enjoyment; it allows a person not only to use his or her voice, it also gives people a chance to hear and perform excellent music. Music is an important part of life and human culture, and so should be encouraged.
Choirs offer people the chance to participate in culture. Too often culture is set aside, especially in this day and age, where we equate money with society. The first thing that pops into one's mind is "I wonder how much it costs?" Culture is a thing that not only has a financial value, it also has a cultural value; that's why a car is just a car, but music is more.
Also, it allows for the voice of the local musicians and composers to be heard. For example, a church choir director needs to actively search out the music written by composers living in the area. Although performing music by great composers is perfectly fine, the contemporary voices from the area should also be heard. At least this is what I believe; it is rarely …
I have finally released a new "album" for your pleasure. Music of the Spheres is a lot of my recent work collaborating with poet Colin Bell. His poems using the Fibonacci sequence are little gems and have a lovely musical rhythm buried inside, which I hope I have found here. The music can be found on BandCamp:
of the Spheres (2011)
and painted with stars,
easier for simple mortals
than this slowly spinning ball suspended
Pythagoras heard heavenly harmony humming
in space – the planets’ mystic song.
Divine choreography ruled humanity’s fate
while we worshipped blindly below,
humble and fearful,
ignorant, trusting, -
As I have mentioned before, I am busily having my acoustic music bound in black hardcover volumes. This entails a lot of Finale work on my part because it needs to have a good layout, along with page numbers, titles, descriptions, instrumentation, and so on. In the photo, you can see the black books there on the left. That's how many I have so far.
1. Missa Sine Nomine. SATB, string quartet, organ, handbells.
2. Missa Sine Nomine. variations. I re-wrote several parts of the mass for other ensembles.
3. Missa Sine Nomine in English.
4. Music for Advent. SATB and instruments. I have pieces for first, send and fourth Advent Sundays.
5. Aviary Corridor. Soprano and small ensemble. Poem by Charles Alexander. This was performed in Seattle.
6. Fibonacci Poems. Tenor and piano. Poems by Coli Bell. I love these short poems which are snippets from life.
7. Music for Orchestra. Not a large volume! I actually have written a few pieces, however.
8. Music for Clarinet. Organizing volumes like…